WERD OF MOUF! is RapCentral's very own Rap Dictionary. A huge collection of rap and Hip-Hop words and slang, with the clear meaning of each slang term. Look up the meaning of the words used in lyrics here, in the ultimate resource for looking up hip-hop slang.
(n) Rough, tough and dangerous: a bus that travels in the ghetto is called because people are getting robbed or mugged on a regular basis. The former name for the Los Angeles County Mass Transit (Bus) was Rapid Transit District.
-- "When you young it's hard to see, that it's wrong throwing rocks at the R.T.D." -- Ice Cube (Doing Dumb Shit )
(n) Short for rabbi.
-- "Told a rab get off the rag" -- Public Enemy (Welcome to the Terrordome )
(v) To betray/snitch.
-- "Perhaps, i was blind to tha facts, Stabbed in tha back, I couldn't trust my own homies, Just a bunch a dirty rats" -- 2Pac (Only God Can Judge Me )
(n) A bum rush.
-- "Like some pussy, or in fact, a bum rush, but we call it rat pack, on a nigga for nothing at all" -- N.W.A. (Gangsta, gangsta ).
(adj) Showing the pure essence of pure hip hop.
1) (n) The orignal, not a fake. One real McCoy was a late 19th century boxer who fought under the name Kid McCoy and was so good that other fighters adopted the name, whereupon he had to bill himself as "the real McCoy". Or, it was Scotch whisky, made by A. & M. MacKay of Glasgow. In the UK the saying is "the real MacKay". Another idea is that the expression came from heroin originating from Macao (Dictionary of Cliches, pg.215). Yet another explanation is the American scientist Eligah McCoy, who had several inventions well known throughout the African American community in America. If you owned anything during those days, you wanted it to be "the real McCoy".
2) (n) A 1967 Jazz CD by McCoy Tyner, a pianist.
(interj) Wrong spelling of "Really though", used to emphasize a point. See Ice Cube track 'Really doe'.
(n) Murder spelled backwards. Used often by Hip Hop group Bone Thugs n Harmony within their lyrics.
-- "Nigga fuck around with the wrong shit, y'all get mo mudered all day. We can play that way, and I'm on the run. I'm a call my boys, and bring all the guns. Y'all niggas wanna have a little fun with #1, bloody red, redrum, rum rum rum" -- Biggie feat. Bone Thugs n Harmony (Notorious Thugs ).
(n) See marijuana. (1920s-1960s) Marijuana wrapped in cigarette paper, may be a variant of Mexican "grefa" (Juba to Jive, pg. 380).
-- "You know that weed can really ease your mind, Everytime I smoke a reefer that indo high makes me fly" -- Bone Thugs n Harmony (Weed Song )
reel to reel
1) (n) Really real.
2) (n) Reality.
3) (n) The big tape used for studio recording and the machine that runs it.
1) (n) A brand of cognac brandy, and also a champagne cognac.
-- "I've got to get the chronic, some Remy Martin, and my soda pop" -- Dr. Dre (Let me ride ).
2) (n) The alias taken by the female Hip Hop artist formerly known as Remy Martin, now known by her stage name Remy Ma. She is a former member of Fat Joe's rap crew, Terror Squad, and is one of only three female rappers to ever have a number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, with Terror Squad's number one single "Lean Back".
-- "All of a sudden the big question is, yo who this bitch Remy is? Is she really thorough with her borough, can she represent? Do Remy write every line and every rhyme that she spit?" -- Big Punisher (Freestyle With Remy Martin ).
(v) To stand for a person, place or anything; to symbolize. See the Nas track 'Represent' from his debut album Illmatic, released in 1994.
(n) Derogatory term for a member of the Crips, an L.A. gang.
1) (n) A vehicle.
-- "First they get behind my ride...Then they switch lanes to the left side" -- Ice Cube (Color Blind ).
2) (v) To attack or confront enemies and foes, e.g. "I'll ride on my enemies". Or to represent or do something for someone, or dedicate your actions to someone or something, e.g. "I ride for for you".
-- "I bet you motherfuckers die, when we ride, on our enemies" -- 2Pac (When We Ride on our Enemies ).
(v) See step to.
(v) Old street slang - to steal, stolen, to take agressively.
(n) A good friend, someone who you always hang out with.
-- "Even when I'm goin through hard times, I still got my closest road dogz lookin out for all mine" -- 2Pac (My Closest Roaddogz ).
1) (n) Crack.
-- "I ain't guilty cause, even though I sell rocks, It feels good puttin money in your mailbox" -- 2Pac (Dear Mama ).
2) (v) To have sexual intercourse.
3) (n) Biblical. Alcatraz, Jamaica...
4) (v) To wear, "I was rocking my brand new Nikes".
5) (n) Diamond.
-- "And them rings you wearin' look like they got a few rocks on 'em" -- Eminem (Rock Bottom )
(n) Crack addict
1) (n) A joint (see marijuana).
2) (v) To blast off into a high when smoking a joint.
1) (n) Rodney King was beaten up by police when he was placed under arrest. The whole incident was videotaped, leading to the infamous "Rodney King trials", where the police officers were under trial for assault and battering. The outcome of the trial was not satisfactory to many people in LA, leading to the LA riots of 1992.
2) (n) To pull a Rodney King: To initiate police brutality.
-- "He'll probably pull me over and I laugh, pull a Rodney King and I'll blast at his punk ass" -- Tupac (Souljah's Revenge ).
1) (v) To hang with a given person or crowd.
-- "I'm rollin' with the new jack crew" -- Ice-T (Newjack hustler ).
2) (v) To roll on someone means to beat someone up.
3) (v) To roll a joint.
4) (v) To drive one's car in the neighborhood with a certain style or finesse.
(v) To arrive on a scene.
-- "Roll up in a school and bang - bang!" -- Tha Dogg Pound (Roll Wit Us)
(n) Wrist watch of the expensive brand Rolex.
-- "Where my Rollie wearin thugs who claim they don't love you" -- Da Brat feat. Jermaine Dupri, Missy Elliott (That's What I'm Lookin' For)
(n) Notorious South Central Crip set.
(n) An expensive Rolex watch.
-- "She got the matching Roly-O" -- Hot Boys (I Need A Hot Girl)
(n) A round the way guy that keeps it real and knows the streets.
-- "Gotta what yo gotta get a ruff neck" -- MC Lyte (Ruff neck).
1) (v) Bogard, physically assault.
2) (v) After taking drugs , one often gets a rush
1) (adj) Tough, hard, stopping at nothing.
-- "Drop him in his tracks so hip that I am ruthless" - Eazy-E (It's on Dr. Dre 187 um killa )
2) (n) Ruthless Records was ex N.W.A. member, Eazy-E's record company. Grammy award winning Hip Hop group Bone Thugs n Harmony were signed to this label.
-- "But everything started changin, business rearangin, Then the time when Bone and Ruthless wasn't vibin" -- Bone Thugs (Mind on our Money )
Have any Hip-Hop slang terms we dont? Please send them to us »
Digg This Page! Post Page To reddit Post Page To Del.icio.us Post page to Furl
Post Page To Technorati Post Page To BlinkList